America appears to be at a crossroads, but Iowa's stately and proud barns remain, symbols of old America. Immerse yourself in this world on the annual self-guided barn tour sponsored by the Iowa Barn Foundation Saturday, September 25, and Sunday, September 26 from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Barns awarded restoration grants by the Iowa Barn Foundation because of their importance historically or architecturally will be on the tour.
Other important barns restored by owners can also be viewed. The Iowa Barn Foundation is an all-state, primarily all-volunteer, non-profit group that was founded in 1997 in order to preserve Iowa's rural heritage.
(For more information about the tour, please call Roxanne Mehlisch, 641-751-1406).
Because of the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, please wear a mask at the barns, and keep a social distance of at least six feet. The barn owners will appreciate it. You may want to see the sites from your vehicle.
As an example, this is the Dobbin Round barn in State Center (Marshall County), currently under restoration. Photo by Dave Austin.
Northwest Counties - Lyon, Oscelo, Dickinson, Emmet, Kossuth, Sioux, Obrien, Clay, Palo Alto, Plymouth, Cherokee, Buena Vista, Pocahontas, and Humboldt.
West-Central Counties - Woodbury, Ida, Sac, Calhoun, Monona, Crawford, Carroll, Harrison, Shelby, Audubon, and Guthrie.
Southwest Counties - Pottawattamie, Cass, Adair, Mills, Montgomery, Adams, Fremont, Page, and Taylor.
North-Central Counties - Winnebago, Worth, Hancock, Cerro Gordo, Wright, and Franklin.
Central Counties - Webster, Hamilton, Hardin, Greene, Boone, Story, Marshall, Dallas, Polk, and Jasper.
South-Central Counties - Madison, Warren, Marion, Union, Clarke, Lucas, Monroe, Ringgold, Decatur, Wayne, and Appanoose.
Northeast Counties - Mitchell, Howard, Winneshiek, Allamakee, Floyd, Chickasaw, Fayette, Clayton, Butler, and Bremer.
East-Central Counties - Grundy, Black Hawk, Buchanan, Delaware, Dubuque, Tama, Benton, Linn, Jones, Jackson, Poweshiek, Iowa, Johnson, Cedar, Clinton, Scott, and Muscatine.
Southeast Counties - Mahaska, Keokuk, Washington, Louisa, Wapello, Jefferson, Henry, Des Moines, Davis, Van Buren, and Lee.
Note - Since conditions change, some photos may not show the current state of a particular barn.
Hoefler barn, 4680 McKinley Ave, Granville (O'Brien County) - From Granville, go one mile east on IA 10, then turn south onto McKinley Ave and travel about ½ mile south (gravel). Barn is on east side of road. This landmark barn was built in 1914 by Mr. Diers from Germantown. Owners: Joe & Donna Ascherl.
Johnson barn, 4594 Vine Avenue, Sutherland (O'Brien County) - From Sutherland, travel one mile north on County Road M12, and turn right onto 460th Street. Barn was built about 1920 for John Adams, a dairy farmer. It has a footprint of over 2000 square feet. Twin cupolas and horse weathervanes are original. Arched rafters had to be hoisted in place with pulleys and horse power. This allowed for access to the loft without support poles. More photos here.
Hansen Crib, 4015-340th Avenue, Ruthven (Clay County) - From Ruthven, take N18 south to 340th Ave. One-of-a-kind landmark corncrib, built in 1940's, holds 7000 bushels of ear corn and 4000 bushels of small grain. In middle of crib is a bucket system that transports ear corn to the top of the corncrib and releases it into multiple outlets. Grandfather of owner died when owner's father was 18 and he had to take over farm.
Wigdahl barn, 4030 360th Avenue, Ruthven (Palo Alto County) – From Ruthven, go 1 mile east on US 18 (360th St), then turn right (south) onto 360th Ave, and go 4.25 miles. The barn was built in the 1930’s, 34x64 feet, with red clay tile along the bottom. Two brothers designed a running water system, and milk machines to milk the cows, all without electricity. Later the floor was cemented and the entire barn was converted to farrowing and feeding pigs. More of the story.
Harvey barn, 4516 190th Street, Estherville (Emmet County) - Take IA 9 through Gruver. Turn south on N40. Go two miles. Turn east 3/4-mile. Farm was homesteaded in 1899. Dan Harvey's great grandparents built the barn in 1927.
Clancy Barn, 1866 Marengo, Pomeroy (Calhoun County) - At the intersection of IA 4 and IA 7. The barn was built in 1948 by Lee and Maureen Olson, along with local carpenter George Julifs. Maureen and Lee put pieces of the barn together in the machine shed prior to erection of the building. In 1962 the farm was purchased by Leo and Geraldine Clancy of Pomeroy. Geraldine and Maureen Olson were sisters. Leo Clancy was one of the charter members of the Iowa Charolais Association, formed in 1961. Leo also served as the Charolais superintendent at the Iowa State Fair for 25 years. More text and photos here.
Ellis barn, 2370 Fletcher Avenue, Lytton (Calhoun County) - The barn is three miles east and 2.5 miles north of Lytton. Landmark red barn, used to raise Red Rock Arabians, is called the "big red barn" by locals. It was built in 1918 and is 40 feet high to the eaves. It has 3x12-inch timbers. Another photo here.
Wooster barn, 2435 2100th Street, Manning (Shelby County) - From Irwin, take the highway east five miles; turn north on gravel for one mile and turn east for 3/4-miles. From Manning, go seven miles south on Airport Road on the west side of town. Turn west for 1.75 miles. Mr. Wooster's grandfather built this barn in 1896. It has always been used in the family farming operation and still is. More photos here.
Heflin barn, 837 Orange Road, Harlan (Shelby County) - From the intersection of US 59 and IA 44, go four miles east on IA 44 to Orange road. Then go 1.25 miles south. Farm is on the east side of the road. Once there were several of these unique barns in the area, but this is the only one remaining. The barn, built in 1901, is 40x36 feet. It has been used by four generations of Heflins. More photos here.
Hinderaker barn, 2698 Jaguar Trail, Guthrie Center (Guthrie County) - From Guthrie Center, go west on IA 44 for three miles. Turn left on Jaguar Trail and go 4.5 miles south. The original barn was built at the turn of the century. It burned down in 1931, and the present barn was built. Another photo here.
Vandewater barn (Meadow Brook Farm), 3100 270th Street, Orient (Adair County) - Between Greenfield and Winterset, on IA 92, take Vinton Avenue (P39) south. At 270th Street (G53), turn right (west). Go one mile west of Hebron Methodist Church. Barn was built by Henry Vandewater in 1911 and has been in the family since. It has notched beams, pegs, mortise and tendon joints and a memorable wooden cupola. More photos here.
Rory Friedow Barn, 1680 Ladd Avenue, Kanawha (Hancock County) - Seven miles west of Klemme (US 69) on B55 (170 th St), then ¼ mile south on Ladd Ave. Floyd Friedow built the barn and hog house in 1925. He and his three sons (Doyce, Verlyn & Milton) were widely known for their quality Poland China hogs. In 1955 they sent breeding stock to a farm in Cuba via train & airplane. The barn which originally housed dairy cattle and draft horses, is now home to sheep, goats and barn cats. The farmstead has been continually occupied by the Friedow family. More photos here.
Dodd barn, 1854 40th Street, Ackley (Franklin County) - Travel four miles west of Ackley on IA 57. Turn north on S55 for two miles to 40th Street. Go 1/2-mile west. Barn was built by Ernest Aldinger, one of three Aldinger brothers who built farms within a mile of each other. More photos here.
(New) Clayton Miller Barn, 1890 Indigo Ave., Latimer (Franklin County) [Photo not available] – Take I-35 to Exit #170, go east on 190th St, then north on Indigo Ave. Barn is 1 mile, on the west side. The barn was built by the Harris family between 1915-1925. The original purpose was for cows, with a milking parlor and a milk room. Later the barn was used for beef cattle, and then was converted to farrowing pigs. Clayton Miller purchased the barn in 2011, and plans to restore the barn to use it to house his flock of sheep.
Rand Faaborg barn, 3490 370th St, Radcliffe (Hamilton County) – From I-35, near Randall, go east on D65, then north on R77 (Young Ave), then east on 370th St. This beautiful cattle barn was built in 1950. It is called a bank barn where the north end is lower than the south end so you can back in to load cattle. It was damaged by the tornado in 2018 and has recently been restored. More photos here.
Boriskey Barn, 2115 230th Street, Marshalltown (Marshall County) - At intersection of US 30 and IA 330, go north on IA 330 for 1.3 miles and turn left onto short gravel drive that crosses to county road E41 (230th Street). Turn left again (west) and go 0.7 miles. Barn is on the right (north). Barn known as "long horse barn on 30" was manufactured by Super Structures, Albert Lea, and built in 1958. Has laminated curved rafters. Native lumber in horse stalls. More photos here.
Dobbin Round barn, 2551 Brown Avenue, State Center (Marshall County) - From State Center, on US 30 go west one mile to Cooper Avenue (S52) and turn south. Turn right (west) onto 255th St, then left onto Brown Ave. The 1917 barn was a pre-cut structure designed and made to order by Gordon Van Tine, Davenport, for $6000. Carpenters like Ike Ingersol and Amos Thompson assembled the numbered pieces into the 65-foot diameter barn with silo in the middle. This barn is currently under restoration. (Photo by Dave Austin). Many more photos here, 2021 & 2012.
Buck barn (or “The Little Barn”), 1271 285th Street, State Center (Marshall County) - From State Center, go west one mile to Cooper Avenue (S52). Go 4.5 miles south to 285th Street. Turn left on gravel. Barn is at first place on left. Barn is an example of how a potential tear-down can be turned into a jewel. It has a wonderful cupola. (Photo by Dave Austin). More photos here.
Russell & Danielle O’Rourke Farm, 25623 710th Ave, Colo (Story County) - Take the new US 30 eastward from the intersection with US 65. Turn south onto 710th Street. Barn is on the west side of 710th Street. This barn, part of a lovely farmstead, was built in 1885 for horses. Barn is on National Register. Click to read more about this barn.
(NEW) Lundy farm, 11450 680th Avenue, Zearing (Story County) - From Zearing, go west on 130th St (E18), cross US 65, then turn right (north) onto 680th Ave. The barn on the Daniel and Lezlie Lundy farm was built in the 1890’s and is a monitor style barn. It was used for horses and hay storage. Restoration included some internal structural bracing, wood siding replacement, painting and window replacement. (Award of Distinction). Click here to see photos added to shared album, Lundy Barn, Sept 2021, by David Austin.
Twedt barn, 63645 160th Street, Nevada (Story County) - From junction of E41 (Old US Highway 30) and S14 in Nevada, go north on S14 six miles to 160th Street. Turn east onto 160th St, then go 1.5 miles. This barn has 40 two-ply laminate rafters to support its rounded roof so the hayloft is free of posts and beams. Farm was once owned by Hoyt Sherman, brother of the Civil War general. This is an example of how a small barn can highlight a farm. More photos here.
Rimathe Barn, 51349 Highway 210, Slater (Story County) - It's the first farm east of Slater on IA Highway 210. This 30x50 foot barn has been used and beloved by the family since it was built in 1929 by the owner's uncle. The barn was in tough shape after a tornado, but owner, Wayne Rimathe, at great effort, recently restored it. Click here to read more of the story.
Robert & Carla Uetz Barn, 2011-180th Street, Boone (Boone County) - From US 30, take IA 17 north for five miles (curves and stop signs). Go right (east) at 180th Street one mile just past U Ave. Uniquely framed 36' x 50' barn with large lost was built in 1928 by William Smalley for teams and small dairy herd. Original overhead manure removal system still in place. Another photo here.
Nicholson barn, 294 240th St, Scranton (Greene County) - From US 30, go south on IA 25, then turn right (west) onto 240th St. The barn was built in the early 1900s by the Nicholson family who settled the farm in 1886. Their descendants have continued to own the farm since that time. The barn is an excellent example of an early, multi-purpose Iowa barn with provisions for grain and hay storage, plus livestock shelter including stalls for draft horses. The barn has pegged beams and a rail and car/rope and pulley system for storing loose hay. The foundation consists of large boulders that are native to the area. The interior of the barn includes log framing.
McBroom-Hargis barn, 1218 Highway 169, Winterset (Madison County) - Barn is five miles south of I-80 (Adel, De Soto, Winterset exit), on US 169. Article in Madison County paper (1884) discussed this barn, "It would be the largest barn in this part of the county." It has a wooden track, post and beam, pegs and was designed by I.F. Carter of De Soto. More photos here.
Gillespie Barn, 1257 Highway IA 92, Winterset (Madison County). Barn was built in 1874 by W.W. George. The property has been in the same family since 1870. It is located on Old Bluff Road which carried early settlers to Council Bluffs. Another photo here.
Jenkins-Randleman barn, 18012 Highway 5, Carlisle (Warren County) – From Carlisle, go south-east on Highway 5. Dairy barn was built in 1947 out of native cottonwood. It is a landmark in Warren County that was built by the Randleman family who also had a landmark house. More photos.
(NEW) Stephens Barn, 1461 28th Avenue, Pleasantville, IA (Marion County) – Located 2 miles West of County Rd S45, between McKimber St and Neveda St - it is the only farm on 28th Ave. The Shadle family were business owners and members of many civic and philanthropic organizations in Pleasantville. It is estimated that the 30’ X 40’ barn was built between 1880 and 1910. Due to its small size, originally it was used for horses and hay storage. The restoration included replacement of all the exterior siding with Douglas Fir milled and delivered from Idaho. During the restorations process, we uncovered several original door and window openings as well as hay doors that have been re-opened. The barn is currently used for 2 horses and hay storage.
Kosman barn, 10611 240th Avenue, Weldon (Decatur County) - From Osceola, take US 69 south 10 miles to Clarke-Decatur Street (J12). Turn east and go one mile to first gravel road (240th St). Turn south - barn is second house on the west side (right). Barn, built in 1907, was the scene of large barn dances. Barn has always been used for horses and cows. More photos here.
Partridge barn, 32086 252th Street, Lineville (Decatur County) - From I-35, go east on IA 2 to Leon and continue another eight miles east of Leon to the intersection of IA 2 and County Road R69 (Woodland Road). Turn right onto Woodland Road and go 5.5 miles to 252nd Street (which is about a mile south of the old Woodland Town site at the intersection of J46). Turn left (east) onto 252th Street (the first left south of Woodland), and the barn is 1/4 mile down the road on the north side.; Barn (56x32) built in 1930 by William Massey who wanted the largest and fanciest barn in the area. It was built prior to the Depression, and he lost the farm. Blocks delivered by train from Lineville. From there it was 10 miles by horse and wagon. Barn is in beautiful area. Click here for a map and photos.
Birkedal barn, 1145 330th St, Osage, (Mitchell County) – From Osage, go west on IA 9, then turn left (south) onto Balsam Ave (Cnty S70), then left (east) onto 330th Street. This beautiful old barn has been in the Birkedal family for 6 generations and is 7 miles north of Nora Springs. The large barn with the windmill near by are a landmark in the area. It was important to this family to restore the barn so future generations can have the same fond memories of countless family members who have grown up exploring, playing and working in the barn. The family has also been restoring the old farmhouse and will restore the corncrib as well. Another photo here.
(NEW) Brown Poultry House, 1971 Bourn Avenue, Rockford (Floyd County) – From Rockford, go northwest on Red Ball Rd, then turn left (west) onto 200th St, then turn right (north) onto Bourn Ave. The two-story Brown Poultry House was built in 1953 for laying hens; it was a state-of-the-art building utilizing labor-saving features. The restoration is authentic, with the exterior made of corrugated tin and all windows reinforced with wire mesh hardware cloth.
Younker Family Heritage Farm barn, 25734 Hwy IA 57, Parkersburg (Butler County) - Three miles east of Parkersburg, on IA 57. This large (112'x30') barn has been in the same family since the barn was built in the late 1800's. Inside the barn is a 16'x24' wooden silo that was manufactured by the Indiana Silo company and was built around 1909. This landmark barn was recently lovingly restored by Eleanor Tostlebe Peterson and family. (Award of Distinction). Photo by Dave Austin. See more photos.
The Miller Barn, 310 20th Street SW, Waverly (Bremer County) - The Miller barn is on IA 3 on the west edge of downtown Waverly. It is south of Redeemer Lutheran Church, east of CUNA Mutual campus, and west of Bremwood and Lutheran Services of Iowa. This barn was built in 1914 by W.H Miller and his brother, Gilbert, and constructed with locally grown cedar and native oak. The Miller Guernsey Dairy was one of over 20 dairies in Bremer County from 1920 to 1940. The Miller dairy helped supply the local Carnation Company with milk for condensed milk. More of the story, and photos.
Mikesh barn, 2714 County Road A14, Decorah (Winneshiek County) - The barn is west of US 52, on County Hwy A14, close to the Minnesota/Iowa boundary. This dairy barn was believed to be built in the early 1900’s. It has been painstakingly restored in 2017/2018, by a mother and son who live on the property. They now use the barn for calves and small farm animals. More photos here.
Blazek barn, 1755 Ridgeway Boulevard, Lawler (Chickasaw County) - The farm is about 3 miles northwest of Lawler on County V46 / 1755 Ridgeway Blvd. Distinguished large barn had a drive-through center where teams of horses pulled and unloaded full loads of hay. Barn dances were held in mow in early 1900s.
Linderbaum/Palmer barn, 1206 150th Street, Castalia (Winneshiek County) - From Decorah intersection of IA 9 and US 52, go east on IA 9 for 5.8 miles to Centennial Road. Turn right on Centennial Rd and go 8.4 miles (Centennial becomes W46). Turn left on 150th Street. Go 1.7 miles to Linderbaum/Palmer barn. Rock is from nearby quarry using teams and wagons. Framing of barn was oak harvested from own woodlands. Portable sawmill was brought to saw logs. Some 200-300 men came for a one day barn raising; each man given a new hammer. [Directions could be - From Decorah, follow US Highway 52 south to Castalia. Turn left (north) onto W46 (Centennial Road) and follow to 150th Street. Turn right (east) onto 150th Street and follow for 1.7 miles to the Linderbaum/Palmer barn.] Click here to see more.
Kolsrud Barn, 1243 Gjefle Drive, Waukon (Allamakee County) - From intersection of IA 9 and IA 76, one mile south of Waukon, travel 4.7 miles southeast on IA 76 toward Rossville. About 1.7 miles before Rossville turn left on Cardinal Road (gravel). Travel l.l mile curving to the north. Turn right onto Gjefle Drive (gravel) and follow it east and northeast for half a mile to the barn.. Known as Jacob Johnson/Clark, the Kolsrud barn was built in 1870. Jacob Johnson came from Norway and purchased the barn with 80 acres in 1862. He paid $500 for the farm. Timber used in barn from his farm. Rock quarried from 100 yards from barn location. He used oxen in building the barn. (Award of Distinction). Click here to see more photos and the story of this barn. Photo by Dave Austin.
Hardt Barn, 26152 Kayak Road, Farmersburg (Clayton County) - From the intersection of US 18 and US 52, take US 52 south to Kayak Road, then go east on Kayak Road for about 0.6 mile. S.H.F. Schoulte built this barn in 1875 for his livestock. An innovative hay slide was one of the many labor saving devices implemented by Schoulte, which included the corn crib which was attached to one end of the barn. See the PDF for more details, history, and photos. Also, see a "before" photo, and 40 more photos..
Hayward Round barn, 1520 County Highway V37, Dysart (Tama County) - 3.5 miles north of Dysart on Cnty Hwy V37. (Note: Visitors can look at the barn and take photos, but can not go on the property.) Owner’s great-grandfather, Charles Hayward, purchased farm in 1881. Barn, built in 1916, is 66 feet in diameter. It may have been constructed by Johnston Brothers Clay Works, Ft. Dodge because of size of clay bricks used. Click here to read more of the story and see more photos. And see an online Des Moines Register article about this barn.
In addition, the Hayward Corn Crib, about which the owner writes: “We know very little, for certain, about the building of the Corn Crib, except believe it was built at the same time, or shortly after the Round Barn, because of the materials used (hollow tile bricks) and the style in which it was built, typically used by Johnson Brick and the Works of Fort Dodge, and around the time that the barn was built (1917). We have been told by a number of people that this style of corn crib is very rare – in fact, it may be the only one of its kind”.
Kishman Barn, 14918 X Ave, Cedar Falls, (Grundy County) - From Dike, go east on 160th St, then turn left (north) onto Cnty T65 (X Ave and Fredsville Ave). The Kishman barn was built in the mid 1800's as a dairy barn. This barn is still held up by the original rock foundation and has exceptionally long timber that constructed the frame, done with mortise and tenon joints.
Welter barn, 13725 X Avenue, Cedar Falls (Grundy County) - From Dike, go east on 160th St, then turn left (north) onto Cnty T65 (X Ave and Fredsville Ave). Original blueprints developed by Agricultural Engineering Department, Iowa State. It was built in 1947. Working farm was purchased in 1867 by Ole Johnson and has been in the same family since. More photos here.
Frost Barn, 1745 E. Eagle Rd, Waterloo (Black Hawk County) - From La Porte City, take US 218 (La Porte Rd) north, then turn left (west) onto E Eagle Rd. Built approximately 1877, and this owner renovated it in 2018. Original use was horses and milk cows, but the barn now houses sheep. The walls are three-foot thick limestone at the base. (Award of Distinction). More photos and story here.
James Michels barn, 1278 Mason Avenue, Stanley (Buchanan County) [Photo not available] - From Hazelton (on IA 150), go east on C57 for three miles to Mason Avenue. Turn south and go 3/4 miles. Barn is on the east. Redwood tongue and groove 40'x 80' barn was built in 1947 when the family started raising Angus cattle.
Dighton Round barn, 3344 120th Avenue, Coggon (Delaware County) - Take paved road (D62) going west out of Coggon (in Linn Cnty) for one mile to Quality Ridge Road. Turn north for 1.5 mile (Quality Ridge Road becomes 120th Ave). Round barn on National Register was built in 1914 by Rob Kirkpatrick, grandfather of owner. It is intricate. (Adopt-a-Barn Award). More photos here.
Steines barn, 36746 Bellevue-Cascade Road, Bellevue (Jackson County) [Photo not available] - Go 1/2 mile west of Bellevue on IA 62. Turn right on Bellevue-Cascade Road (D61) and go 1.5 miles to barn. This simple, primitive barn was built in the early 1900s.
Delaney barn, 23477 Bellevue-Cascade Road, La Motte (Jackson County) [Photo not available] - From Zwingle, take US 61 south about 3.5 miles to Otter Creek, then turn left (east) onto Bellevue-Cascade Road (IA-D61). This lovely farm is known as the Sprank farm. The large barn was built around 1900, and the smaller one in 1940. The large barn has wooden peg construction.
Martin barn, 12578 222nd Avenue, Zwingle (Jackson County) – From Zwingle, take US 61 south about 3.5 miles to Otter Creek, then right (west) onto Bellevue-Cascade Road (IA-D61) and go four or five miles and cross a bridge. Turn left (south) on 126th Ave and go a half-mile to barn. Hand-pegged barn was built in 1880 and is 100x28 feet. Many inside features are hand-carved. Cement stands for draft horses have depressions for each foot. (Award of Distinction) More photos here, including interior.
Trenkamp Barn, 893 450th Ave. Preston (Jackson County) - Take IA 64 east out of Preston, turn south onto 450th Ave. Pass cemetery. Barn was built by Justin Berg in 1926. Bernard and Correna Trenkamp purchased the farm in 1945 and used it for dairy cows and horses, and when the horses were no longer needed, the dairy was expanded. When the Trenkamps retired in 1974, Steve and Doris purchased the farm. Steve has been restoring the barn using native lumber when possible. (Award of Distinction).
Schwien Dairy Barn, 1667 190th St. Clarence (Cedar County) - From Clarence, go south on Cnty X64, then turn left (east) onto 190th Street. Dairy Barn was bought from Cedar County Farm Home and moved to its present location (8 miles) in November of 1979. (Award of Distinction). (See Cattle Barn below).
Schwien Cattle Barn, 1667 190th St. Clarence (Cedar County) - From Clarence, go south on Cnty X64, then turn left (east) onto 190th Street. Cattle barn built about 1900 using wooden pegs. It was damaged during a storm in June of 2014. It was repaired with a matching grant from the Iowa Barn Foundation. The current owners bought the farm in 1944 and use the barn for hay storage and cattle.
Schneckloth crib, 23553 200th Avenue, Davenport (Scott County) - Exit US 61 at Exit 127. Go east on LeClaire Road three miles. Then go south on 200th a half mile. Herbert Schneckloth, prominent Iowa farmer, whose family emigrated from Germany in 1854, built the landmark round crib in 1926. Work on the 50-feet in diameter structure was done with hand tools. The foundation was dug and poured by hand using a shovel and one-third of a bag of home mix at a time. Handmade forms were used to pour the concrete. The ventilation block tile and matching solid tile were brought from Adel by train and horse-drawn wagons. More photos here.
Frye barn, 11150 New Liberty Rd, Maysville (Scott County) – From Exit 292 of I-80, go northwest on IA 130 towards Maysville (website: http://www.smallfryefarm.com/). The Frye farms were settled in 1881. This dairy barn was built around 1921 by great grandfather William Frye, grandfather Arnold Frye and great uncle Alfred Frye. The barn was originally white, but was painted red about ten years ago. All siding is original. All stone and brick work was tuck-pointed in 1996. The farm was designated a Century Farm in 1981. The barn interior, including the hay mow, is essentially unchanged with the exception of window replacements in 1995. More about the farm.
Schroeder barn, 2738 130th Street, Wilton (Muscatine County) - Take Exit 271 off I-80 and go south five miles on IA 38 to 130th Street. Turn left for 1/4 mile. Barn (48x50) was built in 1900 and has roof rafter haymow with haymow door and track in tact. The foundation is river rock. The south end of the barn was never painted, so was left that way. More photos here.
Moershel Buggy Barn, (Dennis Zuber), 4468 V Street, Homestead (Iowa County) - V Street is in Homestead, southeast of Amana, on US 6, east of US 151. Use the driveway at 4454 V Street. Doctor's buggy barn. Built in 1890. House in front of buggy barn was built in 1865 and occupied by the Moershel family. Dr. Moershel was chosen by the society to be trained as a doctor, and the barn housed horses and buggies, ready at all times for the doctor's use. Barn has a local stone foundation, recently reinforced with concrete. The 2-bay garage was added to the barn in 1933. More text and photos.
Strabala barn, 1830 290th Street, Washington (Washington County) - From Washington, go south on IA 1 for 5.5 miles. Turn west on 290th and go one-half mile. The barn is on the right. This large barn was built in the 1920's. Open only on Sunday. Click here to see photos before and after restoration.
(NEW) "Big Red Barn" (Keeley Paris barn), 9227 74th Street, Ottumwa (Wapello County) - From Agency, go west on Main Street. After you cross the bridge over Highway US 34, turn right onto 74th Street. This four-story, expansive masterpiece of farming architecture secretly sits atop a hidden hill. While not visible from the road, “Big Red” (aptly named after its paint job, courtesy of an Iowa Barn Foundation grant, and its home in the heart of Ottumwa Bulldog country) is certainly a sight to behold, but only during the two designated Barn Tour days. Click here to see more.
Rigsby Hill/Parsons barn, 22055 Highway 1, Keosauqua (Van Buren) County) - On Highway IA 1, south of Keosauqua Bridge, at the top of the hill on the west side. This is a small, but important, Pennsylvania style barn built for practical purposes rather than tradition on a gorgeous site above a village. The National Register barn was built in 1869. Click here to see more.
Murphy barn, 7606 Stony Hollow Road, Burlington (Des Moines County) - Follow Cnty X99 north from Burlington, then turn west onto Stony Hollow Road (H50). Primitive historic barn has horse stalls, milking area, hog house, corn crib, cattle feeding area, and hay loft. Barn is still used for agriculture. (Award of Distinction). More photos here.